Recipe: $2.65 | Per Serving: $0.22 | Yield: 12 Biscuits
You guys remember those garlic biscuits from Red Lobster, right? These are way better (and healthier) than the Red Lobster version. And they’re so super easy to make! If you’re looking for some delicious bread to hit the table this Christmas, you can’t go wrong with this recipe!
When I was growing up we made awesome cheddar garlic biscuits using a recipe from the Bisquick cookbook – and adding a lot more cheese and garlic than was necessary. I wanted to recreate those old biscuits with easy ingredients and whole wheat flour. There are tons of different copycat recipes online, but I wasn’t looking to copy Red Lobster exactly, and these are awesome!
Basically, you mix together some of the best things in the world (cheese, butter, garlic), and bake them into easy drop biscuits. And if you can avoid inhaling them immediately, they freeze super well and go great with Sweet Potato Turkey Chili, Roasted Vegetable Scampi, and Kabocha Squash Soup.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp vinegar + 1 cup milk = 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup yogurt)
- 1 stick butter (113 grams)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- If using homemade buttermilk, combine the milk and the vinegar and set aside for about 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne, and dried parsley. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan and add minced garlic. Cook over very low heat for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add buttermilk (or yogurt).
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients. Stir to combine and then gently stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Drop just under ¼ cup-size biscuits onto parchment-lined baking sheet.Bake for 12 minutes on 475ºF.