This easy side dish is rich and flavorful. Made with gluten-free quinoa and dairy-free coconut milk.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1.5 cups full-fat coconut milk (~15 oz can)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lime – juiced and zested
- Rinse the quinoa: measure one cup of quinoa into a large pot. Cover it with water and swirl it around with your hand. Using a fine mesh sieve, cheesecloth, or a nut milk bag, pour off the water. Repeat this twice or until the water runs clear. On the final drain, be sure to remove as much water as possible.
- Toast the quinoa: Put the pot on the stove over medium heat and cook off any remaining water, then cook the quinoa in the dry pot for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally as needed.
- Cook the quinoa: Add the coconut milk, salt, and zest from the lime, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook covered for approximately 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 more minutes. Remove lid, then fluff the quinoa and stir in the lime juice. Add additional salt as needed and serve!
Serves 4-6, depending on what you’re serving this with!
- Category: Side dish, grain
- Cuisine: Tropical