These super easy cookies have a slightly chewy, cake-like texture and a rich vanilla flavor. They're a vegan & Paleo homage to the St. Louis Gooey Butter Cookie!
- 5 ounces cream cheese / dairy-free cream cheese (this one!), slightly softened
- 2.5 ounces butter / dairy-free butter (this one!), slightly softened
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 11.5-ounce box of GF/Paleo vanilla cake mix (this is the only one I've found to work)
- optional: 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar or coconut powdered sugar for coating cookies, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and prepare baking sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- Combine the cream cheese spread and butter in a small bowl and mash with a fork until well combined. I often do this on my flat top stove (burners off) to let the residual heat from the preheating oven help soften the ingredients.
- Stir in the vanilla until well combined.
- Add the vanilla cake mix and stir until well mixed.
- Scoop into 24 even-sized chunks of dough and roll between two hands to smooth.
- Optional: you can roll these in some powdered sugar or powdered coconut sugar for that more classic crackle on top.
- Place on two parchment-lined baking sheets (or can use one and do two batches). No need to press flat. Bake for about 11-13 minutes on 375ºF.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Midwestern
Keywords: paleo dessert, baking, gluten free, gluten free baking, paleo baking