- 4 ounces soba noodles
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 2-3 medium cucumbers (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- for topping: green onions & sesame seeds
- optional: 1 teaspoon hot sauce like sriracha or sambal olek
- Cook the soba noodles in boiling water, but undercook them by about 2-3 minutes. I boil them in water for about 5 minutes for this recipe, instead of the suggested 7-8 minutes. Immediately drain and rinse, combine with the soy sauce, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, using a julienne peeler, a mandoline, a spiralizer, or a sharp knife, thinly slice the cucumbers until they’re noodle-like. (*You can just cut them into small chunks if you prefer, but you can find a super easy julienne slicer, which is what I use.) Set the noodles aside. (*If desired, drain them on paper towels for 10 minutes to help release some of the water. I never do this.)
- In a large bowl or glass jar, combine the rice vinegar and the honey, then whisk or shake well. Coat the cucumber noodles in the dressing and set aside or chill for about 30 minutes. Mix with the soba noodles and serve!
The salad might have some liquid on the bottom from the dressing and the water from the cucumbers. I find that the undercooked soba absorbs the liquid once combined.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins