This easy slow cooker barbecue chicken tastes just like BBQ chicken pizza!
- 2 large bell peppers (I recommend green here)
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- 1.5 cups cooked white beans (1 can), drained (like Navy beans)
- 1.5 pounds chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more as needed
- 1 cup barbecue sauce of choice (I like Trader Joe’s or this one when it’s on sale), plus more for serving
For serving: rice, or cauliflower rice, or potatoes, or sweet potatoes! Top with sliced green onions.
- Prepare the produce: slice the onions into wedges (removing outer layers and root/stem) and the bell peppers into strips (removing stems and seeds). Chop the pineapple into bite-sized chunks.
- Place vegetables and pineapple in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with a little salt and top with the drained white beans.
- Place chicken thighs on top and sprinkle with remaining salt (salt needs may vary based on the saltiness of the BBQ sauce). Cover chicken with 1 cup barbecue sauce.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until chicken is fully cooked to 165ºF on a meat thermometer.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken thighs directly in the slow cooker and stir.
- Serve with a delicious starch like rice, potatoes, or sweet potatoes, or with cauliflower rice for more vegetables.
- Top with chopped green onion.
- Can you use canned pineapple? Yes! I would use pineapple chunks or rings you can cut into chunks.
- Why green bell peppers? Green bell peppers are more bitter than red/orange/yellow, but much cheaper. With the combination of BBQ sauce (usually sweetened), and the pineapple, it balances the bitterness and works great here!
Nutrition label includes 2 cups cooked brown rice and 1 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce and it is only an estimate.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 150
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow cooker
Keywords: gluten free