This lemony dressing is the star of this simple arugula salad. It’s the perfect pairing for rich and savory dishes, or any time!
- 2 ounces fresh basil
- juice of half a large lemon, about 2 Tablespoons
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese (about 1.5 ounces)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 ounces arugula (4 servings)
- Add basil, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a food processor. Pulse until the basil is mostly minced.
- Pour in the olive oil, blending just until the dressing is smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Combine the dressing with fresh arugula and divide among 4 serving bowls. Top with more shaved Parmesan and cracked black pepper, if desired. Eat!
Blanched Basil: optionally, you can blanch your basil. This keeps the dressing looking bright green in case you make extra and want to store it. Blanched basil is also easier to blend in a standard blender. Otherwise, not necessary!
Cheese Substitutions: you can also use Pecorino Romano or Grana Padano. If possible, I do recommend buying a block and shaving it yourself, or getting it from a cheese counter.
Dairy-Free Version: add 1 additional Tablespoon of olive oil, and 1 Tablespoon of hemp seeds to make this dairy free. You could also try a little nutritional yeast, but I haven’t tried that myself.
- Category: Salad, Dressing, Condiment
- Method: Food Processor