- 2/3 of a 16-oz box of whole wheat rotini pasta (I used 3.5 cups of dry rotini)
- 1/2 pound of chopped asparagus (about 2–3 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 ounces goat cheese, divided and chilled
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (more to taste)
- 1/2 Tablespoon lemon or lime juice (more to taste)
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil and add the pasta. If using whole wheat rotini, cook for 6 minutes. You want to cook the pasta for about 2-3 minutes LESS than recommended on the box.
- After 6 minutes, stir in the asparagus and let cook another 2 minutes. (It might not come back to a boil, but that’s okay.)
- If using dry sun-dried tomatoes (as opposed to those packed in oil), toss them in the pot as well for about 10 seconds, then drain immediately. (If your SDT are packed in oil or water, skip this step and just add them later.)
- Let pasta and asparagus cool a bit, either by rinsing with cold water or by chilling in the fridge briefly.
- Stir in half the goat cheese (2 ounces), olive oil, lemon or lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. (Add the oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes at this stage as well.) Let chill completely until ready to serve.
- When it’s time to serve. stir in the walnuts, and crumble the remaining goat cheese on top. Squeeze a bit more fresh lemon or lime juice if desired, and serve cold or at room temperature!
I used 3.5 cups whole wheat rotini pasta, which was about 2/3 of my 16-oz box of pasta. (The whole box was 5.5 cups…7/11ths if you want to be exact.)
I used dry sun-dried tomatoes for the pictured recipe.
You can also stir in some baby spinach if you want this to be a slightly more salad-y pasta salad.
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins