Have you ever tried sorghum? It's perfect for making a gluten-free salad with grains. This simple sorghum salad is made with summer fresh tomatoes, balsamic and fresh basil is full of bright, tangy flavor and works great to make ahead for an easy lunch during the week.
- 1-2 cups cooked sorghum; or about 1/2 cup uncooked
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 super ripe & awesome tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2-4 cups fresh greens (arugula!)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced
- fresh parmesan cheese for topping
- If you don’t have cooked sorghum, start by cooking 1/2 cup dry sorghum in about 1 cup water. Then set aside to cool.
- In a small or medium pot, warm the oil over low heat. Grate or mince the garlic and add to the oil. Cook for about one minute, stirring. It should get fragrant and perhaps sizzle a bit, but we don't want to add any color. Remove from heat immediately.
- Cut your tomatoes into wedges or bite-sized chunks. Combine tomatoes with warm garlic olive oil. Stir well and let the tomatoes absorb some of the garlic flavor. (😋)
- Add cooked & cooled sorghum and stir well. (Alternatively, you can use warm sorghum and serve this as a warm / room temperature salad.)
- Stir in balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. You can mix in the greens now, or plate the greens (2 servings) and add the sorghum-tomato mixture to the top.
- Top with 1-2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese and sliced and serve!
- Use ripe tomatoes. They don't have to be fancy (though heirlooms are great!) but they do need to be ripe.
- Cook the sorghum ahead of time. That way It's perfectly ready to make the salad.
- Want it vegetarian or vegan? Skip the parmesan cheese!
- Make ahead. It's perfect for meal prep! Just keep the greens and basil separate until just before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Salad
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sorghum salad, gluten free salad, gluten free grain salad