- 1/2 cup cauliflower puree (from about 2 cups chopped cauliflower florets)
- 1/2 medium eggplant (1–2 cups chopped)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- black pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Make the cauliflower puree by boiling cauliflower florets in water for about 8 minutes, then draining them and blending them. Do the same thing with eggplant – either boil or steam the cubed eggplant until soft enough to mash together. (Alternatively, you can use all eggplant, but I preferred the texture of the eggplant & cauliflower combination.)
- While the mashed veggies cool, chop up the onion, garlic, parsley, and basil and mix with the ground beef. Add the seasonings, eggplant mash, and cauliflower puree and mix gently with your hands.
- Using your hands (or a mini ice cream scooper), roll the meatballs into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake on 400ºF for 20 minutes.
- NOTE: The exact amounts are not super important, so if, say, you’ve got some extra eggplant and you’re low on basil, you can definitely still make these!
- Category: Appetizer, Entree, Bento, Lunch, Dinner