Easy, delicious, homemade granola is the perfect way to start your day!
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup liquid sweetener, such as date puree, raw honey, maple syrup, prune puree*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3.5 cups rolled oats (can replace up to half with steel cut oats)
- 3 cups nuts and seeds (sliced almonds & sunflower seeds are usually cheapest, I like 1 c pecans, 1 c sliced almonds, and 1 c sunflower seeds)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (& 1 tsp nutmeg if you have it, but definitely not needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- optional: add ins: ground flaxseed, hempseed, shredded coconut
- Melt the butter on the stove or in the microwave and stir in the liquid sweetener until well combined. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients – oats, nuts, seeds, cinnamon, salt, and any optional ingredients. Stir well.
- Add the liquids to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir well.
- Spread the raw granola out on two baking sheets. Bake on about 250 for 60-90 minutes or until crunchy.
If you are fine with sugar and you want to use brown sugar, just melt it into the butter before mixing.
FOR BIG CLUMPS: Cook for 60-75 minutes, then turn the oven off and let the granola cool in the oven for several hours or overnight.
FOR PALEO: Omit the oats and double the nuts and seeds. You can also use coconut oil or ghee.