- For the Squash:
- 5 cups butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded, and cubed
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp each: salt, pepper, cayenne
- olive oil
- For the Couscous:
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts or walnut pieces
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil + more for drizzling
- 12 pearl onions, trimmed, peeled, and quartered (about 1/2 cup onion)
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar (can use any vinegar) + more for drizzling
- 1 cup water or broth
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 6 cups chopped hearty greens (swiss chard, kale, beet greens, etc.)
- 9 ounces (or about 1 cup cooked) chickpeas
- 2 Tablespoons dried cranberries
- Optional cheese: feta, parmesan, or asiago
- For the Squash: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Peel the squash and chop it into small cubes. Toss with olive oil, seasonings, shallots, and garlic and roast for about 35 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- For the Couscous: In a large pot, quickly toast the nuts over low-medium heat for about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Set aside.
- Return pot to stove over low-medium heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil and the pearl onions. Sauté until slightly caramelized, or about 15 minutes. De-glaze with balsamic vinegar.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then remove from heat, stir in the couscous, top with the leafy greens, and cover for 5 minutes to steam (off heat).
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse your garbanzo beans. When couscous is ready, stir to combine, add the garbanzo beans and roasted butternut squash. Serve and top with nuts, cranberries, and optional cheese!
- Category: Entree, Lunch, Dinner