- 1 loaf non-sandwich bread (ciabatta, foccacia, etc.)
- 1/2 stick of butter (1/4 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- -if using unsalted butter, add 1/4 tsp salt-
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella log, sliced
- 2–3 ripe tomatoes (I used heirlooms!)
- 1/4 cup basil, thinly sliced
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place the butter on the stove to soften while you prepare other ingredients.
- Slice your loaf of bread in half horizontally and place on a baking sheet. Peel and mince the garlic (I like to use a mini cheese grater) and place in a small bowl. Slice the tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil while you wait for the butter to soften.
- Once soft, mash the butter with the garlic (and salt if necessary) and spread evenly on the bread. Top with mozzarella slices and bake in oven for about 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add tomatoes, then return to oven for about 5-6 minutes. The cheese should get a little bubbly and the tomatoes will soften just slightly.
- Remove from oven and top with basil and drizzled balsamic. Serve!
- Category: Bread, Appetizer