- 3 tbsp butter
- 10 dried mission figs (about 1 cup)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2-3.5 cups chicken broth, preferably unsalted (or vegetable broth)
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup walnuts or sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 – 1 bunch kale, roughly chopped
- salt to taste
- optional: 1 cup cooked wild rice, quinoa, or shredded chicken
- Melt butter in very large, deep-dish sauce pan and add onions. Caramelize for about 20-30 minutes over low heat.
- Add 1 cup chicken broth and chopped figs.
- Caramelize this together until broth is mostly evaporated, then add 1 more cup broth. Repeat until all chicken broth is mostly evaporated and figs and onions are dark and sweet.
- With just a little broth left in the pan, mix in shredded chicken (optional) and add chopped kale and nuts. Cover and let steam for about five minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup more broth if necessary, stir together, and serve.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Entree, Side Dish