When cherries are in season and abundant, whip them up into this amazing summer quinoa salad with cherry-spiked balsamic vinaigrette!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1 cup dark sweet cherries
- For the Dressing:
- 12 dark sweet cherries (about 1 cup)
- 1.5 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Make the Quinoa: Rinse the quinoa 2-3 times until the water runs mostly clear, then place in a large saucepan. Toast over medium heat to dry it out a little, and add a toasted flavor. Add 2 cups water and cook on a low simmer for about 15 minutes. Fluff, remove from heat, and let cool.
- Make the Dressing: Remove the pits from 1 cup of cherries and place in blender or food processor. Blend until chopped up, then add 1.5 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar and 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Blend until smooth, then taste and add salt as needed. Set aside.
- Make the Salad: Remove the pits from the remaining 1 cup of cherries and cut into eighths. Wash and dry the spinach, then finely chop it or mince most of it in a food processor. I left a few larger pieces in mine just for variety. Stir the spinach together with the cooled (mostly) quinoa, the cherries, and the dressing. Top with the feta cheese and stir just to combine. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Salad, Cookout, Picnic
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American