- For the Dressing:*
- 1 avocado
- 3 anchovy filets (about 1.5 tsp anchovy paste)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (more to taste)
- ¼ cup freshly shaved parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (optional - you can replace with water)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- optional: red pepper flakes
- For the Salad:
- 6 cups washed & chopped kale
- ~7 ounces chicken thighs
- 1 Tablespoon cooking fat (coconut oil, bacon fat, olive oil, ghee, etc.)
- For the Croutons:
- 2 slices stale whole wheat bread
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- For the Dressing: Add all ingredients to food processor (in stages if necessary) and blend until smooth and well combined, adding a little water as needed to thin it out. It will be quite thick.
- Wash the kale, chop into about 1/2-inch / bite-sized pieces. Drain well. Rub with a little sprinkle of salt and set aside.
- For the Chicken: Bring a large skillet to medium heat and warm your cooking fat of choice. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper on both sides, then cook for about 3-6 minutes on each side, or until cooked fully through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- For the Croutons: Chop the bread into cubes. Add the 2 Tablespoons olive oil to the pan and lightly fry the croutons. You can use any kind of cooking fat here, but I love the flavor of olive oil croutons. Ghee works really well also. Set aside.
- Compile salad by first adding a few Tablespoons of the dressing to the kale and mix really well. Divide among two large bowls and add the chicken, croutons, and optional extra cheese. Finish with a little more black pepper and/or red pepper flakes and serve!
This dressing makes enough for 4-6 salads.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins