An easy blended soup that's a tasty way to add vegetables to your meals.
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 medium-large onions
- 2 pounds carrots (organic if feasible)
- 2 Tablespoons grated or minced fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 5 cups nourishing vegetable broth (or any)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Pepitas: 1/3 cup pepitas + olive oil + sprinkling of seasonings of choice (cayenne, garlic powder, salt, pepper)
- Melt the coconut oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and stir. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the lemon juice and the pepitas - ginger, garlic, salt, turmeric, black pepper, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, vegetable broth - and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and immediately blend the soup either using an immersion blender or in batches in your regular blender. (You will likely need another soup / container for this step.)
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. Garnish with roasted pepitas!! (See below.)
- For the Pepitas: drizzle the pepitas with olive oil, then sprinkle with seasonings of choice - I used a little cayenne, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper - then roast on 400ºF for about 3-5 minutes. I usually use my toaster oven for these types of tasks so I can keep a close eye on the seeds. Watch them like a hawk around the 3-minute mark to ensure they don't burn.
This recipe calls for dried turmeric, but please feel free to use 1 Tablespoon of fresh turmeric (minced) instead.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: creamy carrot soup, ginger turmeric soup