- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely minced (or more to taste!)
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin puree (about 1.5-2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or other neutral-ish vinegar)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- optional: dash of red pepper flakes or cayenne powder
- 1 cup whole cow's milk or organic soy milk
- garnish: fresh herbs, parmesan cheese
- Mince, grate, or crush garlic. Set aside for 10 minutes to activate allicin, if desired.
- Warm oil in a large pan and sauté garlic over low heat for about 30-60 seconds, until fragrant, but not brown.
- Add vinegar, pumpkin puree and herbs and seasonings (salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and optional turmeric). Stir to combine, then stir in the milk.
- Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes. Taste to adjust seasoning as desired.
- To serve with pasta, just add cooked pasta to sauce and stir well. Top with fresh herbs (parsley!) and Parmesan cheese and serve. Or - use this delicious sauce for pizza or lasagna!
If you’re really in a bind, you can replace the fresh garlic with 1 teaspoon powdered garlic. I tried it both ways and preferred the fresh, but the powder was good too!
Dairy Alternatives: substitute the dairy milk with almond milk, organic soy milk, or other dairy-free milk of choice. Be aware that if you use oat milk, it is sweeter than other milk options and will influence the flavor significantly.
Make your own homemade pumpkin puree with this recipe from The Pioneer Woman.
For activation of anti-microbial allicin in garlic, it is recommended that you wait 10 minutes after mincing garlic before adding it to the heat. Crushing or cutting garlic starts the activation, but once added to the heat, no additional allicin will be activated!
Affiliate reminder: please note that any links on this site, especially those to Amazon, may be affiliate links. Which means, though your price doesn't change, I may receive a small commission on your purchases. TY!
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy pumpkin pasta sauce, pumpkin sauce, creamy pumpkin sauce, pumpkin pasta sauce