These delicious, simplified scotcheroos are a super easy dessert for holidays, potlucks, and backyard BBQs! Enjoy how fast and easy they are, and then devour!
- Melt the Chocolate: (DO NOT GET WATER INTO THE CHOCOLATE)
- Stovetop: Place a small pot of water on the stove over medium heat (somewhere between a simmer and a boil). Fit a metal bowl into the pot. Add the chocolate and coconut oil to the bowl and stir until mostly melted. Remove from heat and stir to melt any remaining chunks, then set aside.
- Microwave: Add chocolate chips to a medium-sized bowl then microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between increments, until the chocolate is smooth, about 1:30 – 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt together the honey and almond butter over low heat. Stir until well combined. (If using unsalted almond butter, add a little salt here.) Add all the brown rice crisps and stir until well combined.
- Scoop crisps mixture into 12-cup muffin tins and very gently press to lightly flatten. This mixture is a little sticky, but not overly so.
- Spread 1 Tablespoon melted dark chocolate mixture over each muffin cup, spreading gently to cover the top of each. Sprinkle with flakey sea salt and refrigerate to set, about 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in airtight container in the fridge. This recipe can be left at room temperature for about 1 day, but should otherwise be refrigerated.
You can use maple syrup here, but it has a higher water content than honey, which makes it less chewy and more likely to go stale after a few days or after storing in the fridge. If using maple syrup, I recommend consuming within a day or two.
I have tested this recipe with almond butter and tahini, and both worked well. I’m sure peanut butter and other nut/seed butters would also be tasty.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: scotcheroos, gluten free, gluten free dessert, dark chocolate, almond butter, almond butter scotcheroos