This easy recipe for dark chocolate peppermint bark is the perfect easy dessert for holiday gatherings. Dark chocolate, which is slightly bitter, pairs perfectly with sweet allergy-friendly candy canes.
- Line a sheet pan with a reusable liner or parchment paper then set aside.
- Add candy canes to a large resealable bag (like zip-top) then place onto a kitchen towel and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to crush the candy (keep on kitchen towel in case the bag gets a small tear – easier to clean up.) Scoop out 2 Tablespoons crushed candy then set aside.
- Melt the Chocolate:
- Stovetop: (DO NOT GET WATER INTO THE CHOCOLATE) Place a small pot of water on the stove. Fit a metal bowl into the pot. Add the chocolate to the bowl and stir until melted.
- Microwave: (DO NOT GET WATER INTO THE CHOCOLATE) Add chocolate chips to a medium-sized bowl then microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between increments, until the chocolate is smooth – 1:30 – 2 minutes.
- Add crushed candy canes (except the reserved 2 Tablespoons) to the melted chocolate, then stir to incorporate. Pour mixture onto the prepared sheet pan then spread into an even layer. It helps to pick the pan up and gently shake it back and forth until the candy has formed an even layer. Sprinkle with reserved crushed candy canes then refrigerate until the chocolate has set, 20 minutes. (Note: if you like shiny chocolate, you can ‘temper’ it by slowly cooling it. Let the chocolate cool to room temperature, about 70ºF or cooler, before placing it in the fridge.)
- Break bark into pieces then serve as dessert or package into gift bags and tie with a ribbon.
Nutrition label is estimation, as always. Could easily serve more than 8, but is probably enough for 8 food gifts.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30*
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate bark, chocolate peppermint bark, candycane bark, peppermint bark, gluten-free, dairy-free, dessert, christmas, christmas dessert