This delicious Asian ground pork stir fry is packed with flavor and is perfect for busy weeknights!
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 8–12 oz (1/2–3/4 lb) ground pork or beef (or turkey, or chicken – any ground meat will do!)
- 1.5 cups mushrooms, cut into chunks or slices (fancy mushrooms like shiitake are great here, but any will do.)
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced into wedges
- 1 cup carrots, julienned, or cut into match sticks
- 3 Tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 4 cups chopped leafy greens – bok choy, spinach, kale, collards, etc. (I usually use half bok choy and half spinach)
- 3 Tablespoons tamari or soy sauce, divided (or for Paleo, use 2 T coconut aminos and 1 T fish sauce)
- 1/2 Tablespoon vinegar (rice wine vinegar, white, or apple cider)
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder or red pepper flakes
- garnish: sesame seeds and green onions
- Cook rice according to instructions. (I use a rice cooker!)
- Heat a large pan or wok over high heat. Dump in the ground pork/beef and let cook, undisturbed for a few minutes until it is dark brown on the bottom. Flip and repeat on the other side. When both sides are dark, add 1 Tablespoon soy sauce and break up the meat, cooking until it is browned on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Drain off most of the oil, leaving enough to cook the vegetables (about a tablespoon or so). If you have lean meat, you might need to add a Tablespoon of butter or coconut oil. Add the onions and mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms are a little brown. Add the carrots and cook for about 5 minutes more. Add the ginger, garlic, chili powder, rice vinegar, 1 Tablespoon soy sauce, and the leafy greens. Cook until wilted, then mix in the meat.
- Taste, add remaining 1 Tablespoon soy sauce if needed, and adjust seasoning as desired. Serve over rice and enjoy!
- You can use basically any vegetables for this, including bell peppers, green beans, and broccoli. Stir fries and rice bowls are great for using up any old vegetables in your fridge!
- I’ve also served this with both soy-sauce roasted kabocha squash and sweet potatoes instead of the rice, so feel free to keep it grain-free with some delicious roasted starches!
- Nutrition Label is for 12 oz ground pork
- Category: Stir Fry, Weeknight Recipe, Dinner
- Cuisine: Asian, Healthy