- Bones, grease, skin, etc. from a chicken (We started with a 4-pound chicken, roasted it, then removed all the meat.)
- 8–10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Slow cooker
- Optional: lemon juice, herbs, carrot, onion, celery, garlic, 2 teaspoons salt
- Place all ingredients (bones, water, vinegar, etc.) in the slow cooker, and make sure the chicken bones are covered with water. (Add more water if necessary, and any additional ingredients like onion, carrot, celery.)
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 8-12 hours. (I cooked ours for about 10 hours.)
- *Alternative stove top option: Add all ingredients to large sauce pan, bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Simmer for 6-8 hours.
- Strain stock through fine sieve, and season to taste!
- *I keep my stock unsalted until it’s time to use it. This way I can cook beans from dry (without them taking forever to cook) or use it in dishes that are already salty.
- Category: Soup, Make Ahead