This easy recipe shows you how to make thick & creamy homemade coconut milk – not special tools required! Perfect for stews and curries!
- 3 cups shredded coconut (one 8ish-ounce package)
- 4 cups hot water (not boiling)
- strainer (which is technically optional, you can just use a bowl.)
- non-fuzzy dish towel (or nut milk bag, or cheesecloth)
- Pour ingredients in glass bowl or blender jar and let soak (covered) for about 10 minutes. (I microwave the water for 3 minutes, then wait about 30 seconds before pouring it over the coconut.)
- Blend for 1 minute, then stir and scrape, and blend again. Repeat 3-5 times, or until it is thick and creamy.
- Line the strainer with a dish towel and place over a large pot or container. Pour the coconut mixture into the dish towel, then squeeze out all the liquid. Voila! It’s surprisingly cheap & easy!
- Note: You can repeat this process 2-3 times and the 2nd and 3rd pressings will yield coconut milk that is similar in consistency to the store-bought carton stuff.
- Yield: just shy of 4 cups coconut milk. Serving: 1/2 cup per serving.
- Category: Drink, Make Ahead