This easy plant-based chickpea salad has that classic Mediterranean flavor from the red wine vinegar, oregano, and feta cheese, and is a cinch to pull together for fast weekday lunches!
For the Dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Salad:
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 1 can cooked chickpeas (1.5 cups)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup English cucumber, 1/2-inch quarter chunks (about half a cucumber)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (3.5 ounces)
- 8 cups baby greens, arugula, or other lettuce
- Optional: 1/3 cup sliced black or green olives
- Mince red onion or slice red onion into thin 1/8th-inch wedges.
- In a large bowl, combine dressing ingredients. Whisk until well combined. Marinate onions in dressing to soften their bite.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas, set aside.
- Wash and prepare all vegetables. Slice grape tomatoes in half. Quarter the cucumber and slice into 1/2-inch chunks.
- Top with feta – crumbled or in a fancy block.
- Serve everything together over mixed greens, as is, or with crackers or bread.
To make this Low FODMAP: omit the onion and garlic and use either shallot-infused olive oil or garlic-infused olive oil in place of the plain olive oil.
To make this VEGAN: omit the feta cheese, replace with olives and / or chopped avocado! You can also add in a few Tablespoons of hemp seeds to boost the protein.
- Category: Salad
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: chickpea salad, mediterranean, mediterranean salad, plant based salad