- 1 medium bulb fennel (and/or onion)
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 whole-wheat pitas
- 1/2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- 1/2 oz fresh basil for garnishing (thinly sliced)
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- Slice fennel as thinly as possible using a mandolin or super awesome knife skills. Spread out on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil (half of total). Roast for 15 minutes. (Keep an eye on it – you want it golden, not brown.)
- Meanwhile, crush, smash, or mince your garlic cloves into small pieces then mix together with the 3/4 cup of ricotta cheese. (You can also blend it together in a blender or food processor, but you’ll probably need a touch more oil.) Add pepper and red pepper flakes to taste, about 1/8-1/4 tsp of each.
- Brush or drizzle the other tsp of olive oil onto the pitas. Divide the ricotta mixture evenly between the four pitas. Garlic Ricotta on Pita
- When the fennel is golden, remove from sheet and mix with butter and a little salt to taste. Divide amongst the pitas, spreading evenly. Fennel
- Bake in oven for about 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil and serve!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Lunch, Appetizer, Snack, Pizza