- 1/4 medium onion, minced
- 1 cup chopped or sliced crimini mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 3 ounces cooked sausage, crumbled*see note
- 2 cups greens (I used kale)
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- salt & pepper to taste
- optional: a few dollops of ricotta cheese
- 6 whole wheat english muffins, croissants, hamburger rolls, or pieces of toast
- (Cook sausage ahead of time, or cook it in the same pan you plan to use for the vegetables. Just remove and set aside.)
- In a large skillet or sauté pan, sauté the minced onions and sliced or chopped mushrooms until soft, about 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic, greens, and cooked sausage and stir to combine, cooking until the greens are wilted. Remove from heat immediately.
- Grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish (or other similarly sized dish or pan) with your fat of choice (bacon grease, coconut oil, butter, olive oil). Spread meat and vegetable mixture on the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until well combined. Pour into the casserole dish. Top with cherry tomatoes (or large tomato slices).
- Optional: Top with a 1-Tablespoon-sized dollop or ricotta cheese, or sprinkle another cheese of choice. (You can skip the cheese if you prefer.)
- Bake on 300ºF for 16-20 minutes. Remove and let cool before slices. (I recommend letting it cool completely as it may fall apart if it is too warm.
- Once cool, slice into 6 equal portions and serve on bread or buns of your choice.
You can use any vegetables of choice. I used exactly what I had on hand: mushrooms, kale, onions, and cherry tomatoes.