Deliciously seasoned lamb meat is thinly sliced and crisped to perfection for this texture-heavy flavor bomb! Enjoy these lamb gyros as a wrap or salad.
- 1 pound ground lamb⠀
- 1 teaspoon salt⠀
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme⠀
- 2 teaspoons dried basil⠀
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano⠀
- 4 Tablespoons coconut milk⠀
- OptionaL 1 teaspoon onion powder (optional, not low FODMAP)⠀
- Other add-ins – I think minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and finely minced onion would all be great here!
For Marinated Vegetables:
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped English cucumber (or garden cucumber)
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch (1/8tsp) salt
For Lemon-Dill Yogurt Sauce:
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt (for dairy free, I like Culina, and GT’s coconut yogurts)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
For Serving: cassava tortillas, lettuce wraps, or pita
For the Lamb:
- Mix the ground lamb and other gyro ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer (or food processor) until paste-like.
- Press the mixture into a baking dish. I like using this 4×4 Pyrex (~4 cup), but a loaf pan works too. Or free form shape it (I have done this and it works just fine)!
- Bake for 45 minutes on 325F.
- Drain the oil (save this!) then let cool completely. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or several hours or overnight.
- Once completely solid, slice into thin pieces. Not shredded, but thin.
- PAN COOK: using the reserved lamb fat (or other fat of choice), cook the lamb pieces on the stovetop to crisp up the outside.
- BROIL: place the thin pieces of lamb on a baking sheet and broil for 3-4 minutes or until browned on top.
For the Gyros:
- Meanwhile, prepare the cucumber-tomato salad: chop the vegetables into a small dice, and add to a bowl with the red wine vinegar, dried oregano, and salt.
- Prepare the lemon-dill yogurt sauce: combine the coconut yogurt, lemon juice, and chopped dill in a small bowl. Stir well and set aside. For non-Low FODMAP, feel free to make Tzatziki instead.
- Warm your pitas or tortillas, or wash and dry butter lettuce leaves and serve everything together as a make your own gyro bar!
If you don’t have a good baking dish, you can free-form the lamb ‘loaf’ on a sheet pan.
Tzatziki is a good replacement for the lemon-yogurt-dill sauce.
Regular yogurt in place of coconut yogurt works just as well in the sauce or in the meat mixture.
Nutrition label is just an estimate, and includes 4 whole wheat pitas.
- Prep Time: 60
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: mediterranean wraps, mediterranean diet, gyro wraps, lamb gyro, gluten free lamb gyro