Make this amazingly simple but delicious salsa and ground turkey skillet with sweet potatoes, black beans, vegetables, and avocado.
- 1 Tablespoon oil of choice
- 1 small onion, small diced
- 1 small bell pepper, small diced
- 1 cup diced sweet potato, small diced
- 8 ounces ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can black beans, drained (about 1.75 cups)
- 1/2 cup medium salsa
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- For serving:
- 1 avocado, lime wedges, cilantro
- 4 servings chips or tortillas
- Cut your vegetables into a “small dice” which is about 1/4 inch cubes. (See above pictures for examples.)
- Melt about a Tablespoon of your oil of choice in a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and sweet potatoes and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Make a bit of a well in the center and add the ground turkey, all the spices (cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes), and about half of the salt. Brown the turkey on all sides, which should take about 5 minutes.
- Add the black beans, salsa, and water. Stir well, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes. After about 10 minutes, the sweet potatoes should be cooked through (check with a fork), and the water should be mostly evaporated. If the potatoes need a little more time, feel free to add a little more water and cook a few more minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach to the skillet and cover to wilt, which should only take 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with avocado, lime, cilantro, and chips or tortillas.
Nutrition label is an estimate. Nutrition information below includes 5 ounces tortilla chips and 1 medium avocado (split among the 4 servings).
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 23
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican American
Keywords: skillet dinner, one pan, gluten free, easy recipe, weeknight recipe