Easy and delicious, this one-pot vegan Hawaiian lentil dish is perfect for weeknight dinners!
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded (1.5 cups)
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1.5 cups unsalted broth or water
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste + 1 cup water
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, black pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped greens (spinach, kale, swiss chard, etc.)
- Start with quickly sautéing your onions for 3-5 minutes, then add the minced garlic and bell peppers for another 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add shredded carrots, lentils, and 1.5 cups broth or water. Simmer covered on low for about 10 minutes, until all water is absorbed.
- Add the tomato paste and 1 more cup of water and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients – pineapple, vinegar, soy sauce, spices, and chopped greens. (You can also add diced zucchini or any other vegetables you’ve got on hand.) Simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure it doesn’t stick! Add more water if necessary.
- If serving on toasted whole wheat buns, wait about 5-10 minutes before serving. Can also be served as stew!
I prefer this as a stew, with a salad on the side, but you can also serve this on toasted buns for a vegan sloppy joe.
Optional: Stir in 1/2 cup hemp seeds for additional protein!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Sandwich, Vegan
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: lentils, pineapple lentils, hawaiian lentils, vegan lentils