- 2 whole wheat sandwich rolls (or use regular bread)
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 12–16 beef and eggplant meatballs (or meatballs of choice…OR just use regular ground beef and brown it in a pan before adding to sauce)
- For the Sauce: 1/2 an onion (any kind), diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 a large carrot, shredded (or about 1 cup shredded)
- 2 cups tomato sauce of your choice (Or, to make as you go: 2 tbsp tomato paste and 2 cups water, or just use fresh tomatoes/canned tomatoes, etc.)
- 1 cup water or broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (or one Tablespoon fresh oregano)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Slice buns in half and toast for about 5 minutes.
- Sauté onions for about 5 minutes, until soft and fragrant. Add carrots, garlic, and tomatoes/tomato sauce/paste&water, etc. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Stir in red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and dried oregano (if using fresh, add it in the next step), and cook for 10-15 minutes, until fragrant and uniform.
- Add meatballs (and fresh oregano) to pot and cover with sauce. Reduce heat to low and cover for 5 minutes, or until meat balls are warmed through.
- Remove bread from oven and add a layer of cheese, then divide meatballs sauce among the bread. Top with more cheese and bake for about 5-8 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread is slightly crispy. Top with fresh oregano, parsley, or basil, and serve!
- Category: Entree, Lunch