Italian Sausage-Spinach Soup: This soup uses extra seasonings to make "homemade" Italian sausage - but you can skip that step and use store-bought sausage if you prefer.
- For the sausage:
- 1/2 pound ground beef or pork
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (or smoked paprika!)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- (or use 3 teaspoons of Italian Sausage Seasoning)
- For the Soup:
- 1 medium onion, minced or shredded
- 1 medium carrot, minced or shredded
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 Tablespoons white vinegar or wine
- 2 cans tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese or rind (grated)
- Soup seasonings: 1/4 teaspoon of: salt, black pepper, dried oregano, dried basil, ground fennel, paprika, chili powder
- 2 bags frozen spinach (fresh or frozen) - 12 ounces frozen spinach
- Warm a large pot over medium heat and add the ground meat. DO NOT STIR. Let it brown on one side, then flip it and let it get brown and caramelized on the other side. Break it apart with a spatula, add the sausage seasonings and cook through. Remove from pot and set aside, leaving the grease in the pot. (Alternatively, form the sausage mixture into small bite-sized meatballs and brown on both side, then cook through and remove from pot and set aside. Both ways are delicious!)
- Add onions and carrots to the pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes until soft, then add the garlic and stir for about 20 seconds. Add the vinegar and scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan and mix well.
- Add the canned tomatoes, broth, additional seasonings, and parmesan to the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. Mix in the sausage and the frozen spinach. Stir well and cook until spinach is warm. Adjust seasoning as necessary and serve!
- Serve with a hunk of crusty bread and enjoy!
I really wanted to add some orzo pasta to bulk it up, but I couldn’t find any here. Let me know if you try it!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Italian sausage stew, hearty Italian stew