Adapted from Pinch of Yum's Jalapeño Lime Chicken Soup.
- 1/2 pound chicken breasts or thighs (I used a mix of white and dark)
- 2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups cooked white beans (from 1 cup dry)
- 2-3 jalapeños, minced
- 12 ounces salsa verde (just about 1 cup)
- 1/2 a medium onion (1 cup minced)
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt, pepper to taste
- juice from 2 limes
- For crispy tortilla strips: 2 corn tortillas and oil, for brushing
- Place all ingredients (excluding the salt and pepper) in slow cooker and cook on low for 5 hours. This soup can be cooked for much longer, probably up to 10 hours, if that is more convenient for you!
- When ready to serve, season to taste with salt and pepper, then shred the chicken with two forks. (I do this right in the slow cooker.) Remove any bones, skin, or undesirable chicken pieces and serve!
- For Crispy Tortilla Strips: Brush one or both sides of a corn tortilla with coconut or olive oil. Dust with salt, then slice into thin strips. Bake on 400º for about 8-10 minutes or until crispy.
For the slow cooker, you can cook it on low for 5-7 hours. (Probably longer, but I haven't tried it.) You could also probably cook it on high for about 3-4 hours, but again, I haven't tried it yet.
I recommend dark meat - it's the best!
I recommend pre-salting the beans. (Or using canned beans.) Once they're cooked, just add a Tablespoon of salt (while still on the stove), and let them soak 5-10 minutes. This will help them stay firm in the slow cooker. Unsalted beans might get a bit mushy.
For awesome from-scratch soup, make your own tomatillo salsa verde!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Category: Soup