I love a quickbread, and this low-sugar zucchini bread is the perfect summer or fall treat. It's a great way to use up the abundance of summer zucchini!
- 1 1/2 cup grated zucchini (about 8 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (as we approach fall, you can add 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice!)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup or honey or date/prune puree
- Optional: 2-4 Tablespoons walnut pieces (if you like the extra texture!)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grate your zucchini. Set it aside. (You're going to squeeze out the water before we mix the zucchini with everything else.)
- Prepare your bread pan. I like to line mine with parchment paper, with flaps going over the long sides to make for easy removal.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a slightly smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, applesauce, and liquid sweetener. Place the shredded zucchini in a nut milk bag or cheesecloth and give it a quick squeeze. You want to remove a good amount of the water, but there's no need to go crazy with it. I just twist it up, give it a quick squeeze and toss it into the bowl with the wet ingredients.
- Combine the zucchini with the wet ingredients, then pour the mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Note: you can totally do everything in one bowl. I like to fully whisk the eggs and properly coat the shredded zucchini in the eggs before combining, but I have also just mixed everything in one bowl and that worked too.
- Pour the mixture into the bread pan. Garnish with a few more hemp seeds for a pretty finish.
- Bake on 350ºF for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out 95% clean!
- You can let it cool in the pan or remove it to cool on a wire rack.
- To remove: take a spatula along the outside of the bake, then use the parchment paper as handles to remove from the pan.
- To serve: Slice into 14-16 slices. I recommend toasting and slathering in butter.
To give this a sweet twist: add about 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Category: Quick bread
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: zucchini, zucchini bread, gluten free, paleo, paleo zucchini bread, low sugar