Mashed Banana Oatmeal is the easiest sugar-free "sweet" breakfast of all time. It's literally just oatmeal with mashed bananas, and although it's not even a little bit fancy, it's cheap, easy to make, and yummy!
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1 cup instant or rolled oats (look for gluten-free oats if you're gluten-free!)
- 1/2 cup water (more if needed)
- 1 cup whole milk or soy milk (or any)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- splash of vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 2-4 Tablespoons almond butter, as desired
- 1/2 cup berries
- Optional: sweetener of choice, 1/4 cup additional nuts and seeds if desired (flax, pumpkin, sunflower, almond, walnuts, etc.)
- Slice the banana into small rounds, then toss them in a small pot with the oats, 1/2 cup water, and milk.
- (Milk can scorch on the bottom of the pan, so feel free to start with only the water if desired.)
- Bring to a very low simmer, then reduce heat, and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir often.
- As you stir, mash the bananas up a bit until they're well combined. Leave some chunks if desired. Add more water if necessary to continue cooking the oats to your preference.
- Once desired consistency is reached, remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon & vanilla.
- Divide into two bowls and pile high with the hemp hearts, chia seeds, almond butter, and berries.
I like creamy oatmeal, so I cook it over low heat until it's nice and gooey.
Nutrition label below (just an estimate) includes soy milk, blueberries, 4 Tablespoons almond butter, and does not include additional nuts or honey.
- Prep Time: 1 min
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana oatmeal, easy oatmeal, mashed banana oatmeal, easy breakfast