Flavorful ground meat is paired with grilled vegetables, buttery quinoa, and a tangy vinaigrette for a delicious mediterranean quinoa bowl!
For the Quinoa:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1.5 cups quinoa
- 3 cups water
- pinch of salt
For the Dressing:
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Veggies:
- 1 medium-large zucchini, sliced into rounds and then in half
- 1.5 sweet bell peppers (I used 1 red and 1/2 yellow), sliced into bite-sized strips
- 1/4 red onion, sliced into wedges
For the Meat:
- 8 ounces ground beef (grassfed!)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: Fresh baby spinach, feta cheese, lemon wedges
- For the Quinoa: Rinse the quinoa well to remove bitter-tasting saponins. Set aside to drain. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat and add the minced or grated garlic. Stir and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then add the rinsed quinoa. Stir well to coat and let the quinoa "toast" a little for about 2 minutes. Then add the water and a pinch of salt. Cover and bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer and let cook for 12-15 minutes. (I recommend cooking for 13 minutes, then, without lifting the lid, remove it from the heat and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes.)
- For the Dressing: Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake well to combine.
- For the Veggies: Preheat your waffle iron to the hottest setting (!!). You can also use an indoor grill / griddle pan / grill pan, etc., but these instructions are for a waffle iron. Combine all the vegetables in a large bowl with about 1-2 Tablespoons of the dressing. Toss well until coated and place in a single layer on the heated waffle iron. (You will likely have to do this in 3-5 batches.) Close the top and cook undisturbed for 4-5 minutes, depending on how charred you like your vegetables (I like 4, and I did mine in 4 batches.)
- For the Meat: In a large skillet, brown the beef on all sides and season with the dried oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- ASSEMBLE: Assemble all ingredients in a large bowl or meal prep container and add the optional spinach, feta, and lemon juice. Drizzle the dressing over the top and serve!
- Prep Time: 8 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Bowls, Macro Bowls
- Method: Stovetop, Grill
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: gluten free, mediterranean diet, macro bowl, quinoa bowl