- 1 Tablespoon butter (for vegan, replace with oil)
- 1/2 a large onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium-large carrots
- 1 pound mushrooms (button, crimini), sliced
- 1/2 cup uncooked farro, barley, brown rice, or wheat berries
- 4–5 cups broth (I used 4.5 cups broth and 4 cubes concentrated broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- Melt butter in large soup pot. Add diced onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until soft and fragrant.
- Meanwhile, mince the garlic, dice the carrots (I don’t peel them) and slice the mushrooms. Add to pan with salt and pepper and sauté for another 5-10 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft and fragrant.
- Add farro (or barley, etc.) and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover with lid slightly askew to let the steam escape. Simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the grains are fully cooked, but still a little chewy. Dish into 4 bowls and serve with salad or roasted vegetables.
- Category: Soup, Stew