- 3 mild Italian sausages (optional)
- 12-16 oz 100% Whole Wheat Pasta (I used 12oz)
- 12 oz grape or cherry tomatoes
- 5-10 leaves fresh basil, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4.5 cups water
- 2 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- grated parmesan cheese for topping
- If you’re sticking with the sausage, start by slicing it or breaking it in pieces and browning it in the pan. It doesn’t have to be cooked fully in this step if you plan to leave it in during the boiling process. Meanwhile, prep your veggies.
- Thinly slice the garlic and onion and cut the small tomatoes in half. Add to pan.
- Add pasta and remaining ingredients to pan. Be sure to pour the olive oil (optional) over the pasta to help keep it from sticking together.
- Bring pot to a boil. Reduce slightly, to a high simmer. Stirring constantly, cook for 9-12 minutes, or until pasta is al dente and the majority of the water is absorbed. Don’t drain – serve with the “sauce,” topped with grated parmesan or romano cheese!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Entree, Pasta