This easy one-pot meal is perfect for families! It’s made with mostly pantry ingredients and can be modified to be #vegetarian or #paleo.
- 8 ounces sausage (homemade Italian sausage is great)
- 1/2 Tablespoon oil (if needed)
- 1/2 onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans (I recommend great northern or cannelloni)
- 1 can diced or crushed tomatoes (14-15 ounces), fire roasted is also good
- 8 cups raw chopped kale
- optional: parmesan cheese
- to taste: salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
- Heat a pot or large pan over medium-high heat. If using lean sausage, heat about 1/2 a Tablespoon of oil in the pan. Slice the sausage into thin rounds and brown on both sides. (Or, optionally remove the casing, crumble into the pan, and brown.)
- While the sausage browns, wash and chop the kale.
- Slice the onion and add to the pan. Sauté for about 2 minutes, then add the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and sauté about 30 seconds more.
- Drain and rinse the beans. Add the beans and tomatoes to the pot and stir well. Place the clean & chopped kale on top and cover so it can wilt.
- Cook, covered, for about 10 minutes. Stir to combine the kale and cook another minute or two if needed.
- Add additional salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes as desired and serve.
The salt needed will vary greatly based on the sausage you use and whether or not your tomatoes and beans are salted. I recommend cooking with only a pinch of salt, then tasting at the end and adding it as needed.
- Category: One Pot Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: one pot family dinner, family recipes, easy dinner, white beans, sausage, white beans and sausage, sausage and kale, one pot recipe