This easy one-pot meal is perfect for families! It’s made with mostly pantry ingredients and can be modified to be #vegetarian or #paleo.
- 8 ounces sausage (homemade Italian sausage is great)
- 1/2 Tablespoon oil (if needed)
- 1/2 onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans (I recommend great northern or cannelloni)
- 1 can diced or crushed tomatoes (14–15 ounces), fire roasted is also good
- 8 cups raw chopped kale
- optional: parmesan cheese
- to taste: salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
- Heat a pot or large pan over medium-high heat. If using lean sausage, heat about 1/2 a Tablespoon of oil in the pan. Slice the sausage into thin rounds and brown on both sides. (Or, optionally remove the casing, crumble into the pan, and brown.)
- While the sausage browns, wash and chop the kale.
- Slice the onion and add to the pan. Sauté for about 2 minutes, then add the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and sauté about 30 seconds more.
- Drain and rinse the beans. Add the beans and tomatoes to the pot and stir well. Place the clean & chopped kale on top and cover so it can wilt.
- Cook, covered, for about 10 minutes. Stir to combine the kale and cook another minute or two if needed.
- Add additional salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes as desired and serve.
- Category: One Pot Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: one pot family dinner, family recipes, easy dinner, white beans, sausage, white beans and sausage, sausage and kale, one pot recipe