Inspired by It’s My Side of Life
- 6–8 ounces sausage (homemade Italian sausage is great)
- if needed: 1/2 Tablespoon oil
- 1/2 onion, sliced into small wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or about 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans (I recommend great northern or cannelloni)
- 1 can diced or crushed tomatoes (14-15 ounces)
- 8 cups kale
- optional: parmesan cheese
- to taste: salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
- Heat a pot or large pan over medium-high heat. If using lean sausage, heat about 1/2 a Tablespoon of oil in the pan. Slice the sausage into thin rounds and brown on both sides. (Or, remove the casing, crumble into the pan, and brown.)
- While the sausage browns, wash and chop the kale.
- Slice the onion and add to the pan. Sauté for about 2 minutes, then add the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and sauté about 30 seconds more.
- Drain and rinse the beans. Add the beans and tomatoes to the pot and stir well. Place the clean & chopped kale on top and cover. Cook, covered, for about 10 minutes. Stir to combine the kale and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add additional salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes as desired and serve.