- 3 cups dry black beans
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups water + water for soaking
- *you might need 6 cups of water for cooking, depending on your slow cooker
- Soak dried beans in water overnight or for 8-10 hours. Drain and discard water.
- Add all ingredients (onion, tomato, garlic, water, soaked beans) to slow cooker and stir.
- Turn slow cooker to low for 8 hours or overnight.
- When the beans are done, mix in salt to taste (about 1 Tablespoon) and separate into containers. Strain or keep as little or as much of the liquid as you’d like. Store in the fridge or freezer!
- *There are plenty of methods in the slow cooker that eliminate the soaking time altogether. However, it is better for your stomach, (and, uh, flatulence), if you soak the beans first, then change the water for cooking, which is why I prefer this method. You can also sprout the beans and cook on low for about 4-6 hours if you prefer.
- Category: Entree, Side Dish