Decadent chocolate mousse made completely dairy-free and vegan with just 4 simple ingredients!
- 1 can coconut milk or 1 cup canned coconut cream (nothing added, no gums or stabilizers)
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- optional toppings: freeze-dried raspberry shavings, chocolate shavings, fresh raspberries
- If you have the chance, place the canned coconut milk in the fridge overnight. This helps separate the coconut water from the coconut cream. Pour off the non-fatty coconut water, we're just using the cream.
- In a small bowl, combine the cocoa powder and the maple syrup. Stir until it transforms into a syrup. Add in the vanilla and a pinch of sea salt.
- Measure 1 cup solid coconut cream into a large clean bowl (a chilled bowl works well here). Using a stand mixer or handheld mixer, whip until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. You want it to form mostly stiff peaks, so you may have to whisk it for longer.*see blender option in notes
- Once coconut cream is airy, add the chocolate syrup and fold it in so as not to lose the air from the coconut cream.
- Pour into 2 large ramekins or mugs (or 4 small). Tap them gently on the counter 2-3 times to settle, then place in the freezer for 1 hour or the fridge for at least 4 hours or until ready to serve.
- To serve: garnish with chocolate shavings, freeze-dried raspberry shavings, fresh raspberries, or even shredded coconut.
- Pour coconut cream in blender and blend on high until it is uniform. Add syrup and blend until lighter and fluffier, and beginning to thicken a bit.
- Place in serving bowls in freezer for 1 hour to set and solidify.
This makes 2 large servings, but you can split it into 4 smaller servings if you prefer.
A note about brands: Not all brands are created equal! I've had success with Native Forest Simple, Thrive Market , and sometimes Trader Joe's coconut milk. The TJ's coconut cream is inconsistent and I don't recommend it for coconut whipping!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mixer
- Cuisine: French, American
Keywords: dairy-free chocolate mousse, chocolate mousse, paleo chocolate mousse