Make pizza night even more exciting with thinly sliced steak, lightly caramelized onions, and rich provolone cheese. You’re going to love this Philly Cheesesteak Pizza!
- 1/2 pound steak (London Broil, Ribeye, or Flank steak)
- 1 medium onion, any (red is my favorite here)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 Tablespoon oil or butter, divided
- 6 ounces provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 recipe pizza dough, at room temperature
- OPTIONAL: Place the steak in the freezer for about 1-3 hours. This will not freeze it all the way, but it will make it much easier to slice into thin strips. If you have a really good knife, you can probably freeze it completely before slicing it.
- Preheat the oven to 500ºF.
- Slice the onions and peppers into thin wedge slices. Warm a little oil or butter (about 1/2 a Tablespoon) in a large pan over low-medium heat. Sauté / fry the vegetables until slightly caramelized, about 8 minutes. Season with a little salt & pepper, remove from heat and set aside.
- While the vegetables are cooking, slice the steak as thinly as you can. Season with salt & pepper (probably about 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper), and set aside.
- Warm the remaining oil or butter in the same pan over about medium heat and add the thinly sliced steak, the garlic powder, and the red pepper flakes. The steak will cook quickly, so watch it, stirring and flipping slices as needed. Cook the steak for about 1-2 minutes, or until just browned. Combine with the onions & peppers, taste to adjust seasonings, and remove from heat.
- Divide the pizza dough in half, and roll each out into a 12-inch round. Place on baking sheets or pizza stones (using parchment paper or silpats as necessary). Roll up the edges about 1/4 inch to make a small outer crust if desired. Divide the provolone cheese among the two pizza rounds. Spread the toppings over the provolone cheese, then top with just a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake on 500ºF for about 12-14 minutes, or until done to your liking.
- Let cool, slice, and serve!
Make your own pizza dough or buy it pre-made!
- Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (makes enough for this recipe – 2 pizzas)
- Paleo Pizza Dough (double this recipe to make 2 pizzas)
- Gluten-Free / Nut-Free Pizza Dough (makes enough for this recipe – 2 pizzas)
- Simple Mills Pizza Dough
Nutrition label includes Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza Dough.
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pizza, philly cheesesteak pizza, philly cheesesteak, homemade pizza