- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 4-6 cups cooked squash)
- 1 pound ground beef (or pork, turkey, or chicken)
- 1 Tablespoons Italian sausage seasoning (or 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, and black pepper)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup riced vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, etc.)
- 8 oz spinach, fresh or frozen
- 14 oz organic pizza sauce
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Slice spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake on 400ºF for approximately 35 minutes. (I always check my squash around 30 minutes. To check: use a fork to pull the shreds away from the side. It should shred easily, but should still be slightly firm, not too soft.) Once cooked, remove spaghetti squash shreds from the peel and be sure to get a spoon to scrape as much as you can from the peel.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Brown the ground beef with the seasonings and half a teaspoon sea salt until fully cooked. Stir in the riced vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook just until wilted. If using frozen vegetables, cook just until thawed and warmed through.
- Place the spaghetti squash shreds in a large casserole dish. I recommend using a fork or your hands to separate the shreds. Add the beef, vegetables, and the pizza sauce and stir until well combined.
- (Optional: add 1 cup cheese, such as aged parmesan or mozzarella.)
- Bake on 400ºF for about 20-25 minutes, just until warmed through! Serve as is, or top with aged parmesan or your cheese of choice.
Pro tip: cook the spaghetti squash ahead of time while you're cooking other meals to save time on busy weeknights!
Seasonings: feel free to change things up with different seasonings. I love using homemade Italian Sausage Seasoning, but when I'm out, I just use a blend of spices from my pantry, such as those listed, to equal about 3-4 teaspoons of spices.
Spice: omit or reduce the red pepper flakes for little ones!
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins