Easy homemade sushi rolls! Salmon onigiri handrolls are made even more delicious with avocado and brown rice. Perfect for bento boxes and appetizer trays.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice, short grain is best
- 2 cups water
- 7–8 sheets of nori seaweed (you can use any type, such as toasted, seasoned, plain)
- 1 jar or can cooked salmon (if using canned, add 1 teaspoon soy sauce and mix well before adding to rolls)
- 1/2 large avocado
- Cook rice according to your preferred method. (I use a rice cooker, but you can bring the rice and water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover, cooking until water is absorbed.)
- When rice is cooked and slightly cooled, lay out a sheet of nori, shiny side down. Wet your hands and scoop about 1/8-1/4 cup rice onto the nori, leaving about 1 inch on the bottom and 1.5-2 inches at the top. Press it together and into the seaweed so it sticks.
- On the bottom part of the rice, closest to you, layer about a tablespoon of salmon and 3-4 slices of avocado. Pull the bottom over the fillings, and squeeze, then roll, squeezing tightly as you go. Wet your fingers and dab a little water on the top to help it seal. Place it seam-side-down and set aside for a few minutes as you continue rolling. (The rolls are easier to slice if they’ve been sitting for a bit.)
- Roll each and then cut them with a sharp knife. Also, it is a good idea to cut off the ugly ends first and eat them immediately, then serve the nice, neat, and tightly rolled parts. :) You can totally experiment with other ingredients, and we often like to add sesame seeds, green onions, and sesame oil. The combination of salmon and avocado and seaweed is DELICIOUS!
- Note: You can cut these into 3, 4, 6, or 8 pieces, depending on how shove-able you need them to be…or how sharp your knife is! :) Also – you can use old rice, but when it is warm it does seem to roll a tiny bit better because it is starchier.
* If making your own salted salmon, use tamari for gluten-free, or use 1:1 ratio of coconut aminos and fish sauce for soy-free.
- Category: Appetizer, Lunch, Bento