This beautiful dish is a perfect date night dinner. Seared scallops are a real show-stopper, paired here with celeriac puree and bright green pesto.
- 1 pound celeriac / celery root
- 2 cups water or unsalted broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon coconut milk, regular milk, or cream
Bitter Greens Pesto:
- 1/2 cup dandelion greens
- 1 cup fresh basil, packed
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- optional: 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons high-heat oil, like avocado oil
- 2 servings scallops (about 3–5 per serving)
- salt & pepper
- 1 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage (can replace with 1 tsp chopped fresh sage)
- Wash and peel the celeriac, then roughly chop into medium-sized cubes. Place in large pot and cover with about 2 cups water or broth and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Pour off some of the excess liquid, reserving it for blending, but leave at least 1/4 cup with the celeriac. Using an immersion blender or a stand blender, blend the celeriac into a smooth puree. Add the two Tablespoons of butter and one Tablespoon of coconut milk and blend until well combined. Add reserved cooking liquid as needed.
Bitter Greens Pesto:
- Add all ingredients to food processor and blend until a pesto consistency is reached, scraping down sides as needed. If not Low FODMAP, feel free to add 2 medium sized cloves of garlic as well.
- Thaw the scallops overnight between two paper towels. For best results, remove the paper towels in the morning and place a new paper towel underneath to continue absorbing moisture. Leave uncovered in fridge for a few more hours to dry out further until cooking time.
- To cook: Blot scallops on all sides to ensure they’re completely dry, then sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Warm avocado oil or other high-heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. I recommend a cast iron skillet for this. When hot, place scallops directly in the oil. Give them plenty of room, but do not move them once they’ve made contact with the skillet. Set a timer for 2 minutes.
- Cook scallops for approximately 2-3 minutes on the first side. You’ll know they’re ready when the underside has formed a brown crust, which you should start to see around the bottom of the scallop.
- Flip the scallops and let cook about 1 minute. Then add 1 Tablespoon of butter and 1/2 teaspoon ground sage to the pan, stirring to combine. Using a spoon, start scooping the butter and drizzling it over the scallops for the remaining 1-2 minutes of cooking time.
- Remove from pan and serve immediately. Drizzle with any remaining sage butter sauce!
The Bitter Greens Pesto Recipe makes about 8 servings. Nutrition label is for 1/8th of the pesto.
- Category: fish, shellfish, low FODMAP, date night
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American, Date Night