- 1 pound organic grass-fed ground beef or pork
- optional: 1 Tablespoon chorizo, sausage, or grilling seasoning of choice
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2.5 pounds cabbage, green or purple (about 1 medium head)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- About 45 ounces of crushed tomatoes and tomato puree (3 15-oz cans)
- 1 cup water, beef, or chicken broth
- Optional: Combine beef or pork with optional chorizo seasoning.
- Spread ground meat across bottom of slow cooker.
- Top with remaining ingredients, starting with vegetables and finishing with the tomatoes and water or broth.
- Cook on HIGH heat for 4 hours. You can turn it down to low and cook another 4 hours if necessary with your schedule.
- Stir/mash to break up the solid chunk of meat on the bottom, then serve as-is, with cauliflower rice, or, if not Whole30/Paleo, with brown rice, white rice, or your starch of choice!
I don’t really recommend using raw meat on the LOW setting, so although you could try it on LOW for 6+ hours, it does open up the possibility for more foodborne issues. (Raw meat should not be left out for more than 4 hours.) If the beef is cooked all the way by the 4-hour mark on LOW, then it would not be a problem! If you do want to make this in the morning for 6-8 hours, and you won’t be around to check the beef’s doneness I recommend cooking the beef ahead of time for guaranteed safety. But, ya know, you do you.