These crispy sweet potato fries are the perfect fix for your homemade french fry craving! I recommend pairing them with homemade aioli or Primal Kitchens Chipotle mayo and a nice juicy burger!
- 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes
- Cold water
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (sea salt, Himalayan)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Cut sweet potatoes (unpeeled) into 1/4 inch fry shapes. To do this, you can cut the round edges off to make a rectangle, then cut the rectangle into sheets 1/4 inch thick. From there, you can cut each 1/4 inch thick rectangle into 1/4 inch strips.
- Add cut sweet potatoes to a large bowl and fill with cold water. (A little ice is good too!) Place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Drain sweet potatoes well and dry with dish towel. You can dry out the bowl well and all the sweet potatoes back to the bowl with the avocado oil. Toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine the arrowroot powder and spices (garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper) and sprinkle over the sweet potatoes, tossing to coat as you go.
- Line 2 baking sheets with silicone or parchment paper. Divide sweet potatoes among the 2 baking sheets, leaving plenty of space to allow air to circulate. (Don’t crowd them!)
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove one tray at a time and flip each individual fry. (Optional, but if you have the patience it does make for crispier fries.)
- Rotate the baking trays when you put the fries back in the oven to ensure even crisping. Bake another 10-15 minutes or until fries are starting to get crispy.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 1-2 minutes and serve. Fries are best fresh but can be reheated in the toaster oven.
*These fries are spicy! Use less cayenne if you want to reduce the spice.
Once cut, soaked, and dried, you can actually freeze the raw fries for later!
P.S. This is the best way to have fries with breakfast! ;)
- Category: Sides
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potato fries, baked sweet potato fries