- 2.5 cups sprouted kidney beans
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 cups water
- 1–2 medium potatoes*
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium tomato
- (optional) 1/2 medium onion*
- 1/2 spicy pepper (jalapeño)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon red peper flakes (optional)
- 1 lime
- small bunch cilantro
- After sprouting your kidney beans for a few days, place them in a pot with the garlic and cover with 4 cups water. (Optional: Use vegetable or chicken stock.) Bring to a rapid boil, then reduce to a simmer for 25 minutes. <--If you don't sprout the beans, this step might take closer to 1 hour.
- Chop potatoes, tomato, and carrot to similar-sized pieces, and mince the jalapeño. (Suggestion: Hold spicy peppers with a fork while chopping.) Add carrot, tomato, potato, jalapeño, and spices (cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes) to pot with the 3 remaining cups of water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer together for about 30 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Top with cilantro and a squeeze of lime and serve!
- *I prefer to make this with one medium potato, but accidentally photographed and chopped two before realizing my mistake! Also, I normally make this with onion but didn’t have any this time around and it still tastes great!
- Category: Soup, Stew