- 3 Tablespoons aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons Sriracha
- 1/2 cup oil (recommend 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup vegetable oil)
- optional: 12 whole chickpeas
- In a blender or food processor, blend together the aquafaba and garlic until it becomes smooth and frothy. Add the lemon juice and Sriracha (or any other flavors you want) and blend again until smooth. Optional: This is where you would add the 12 chickpeas as recommended by Serious Eats.
- Add the oil: you can do this by slowly blending the oil into the mixture. You must pour slowly and blend slowly for two reasons. 1) too much oil at once will create an unstable emulsion, and 2) blending oil (especially olive oil) at fast speeds can cause it to taste bitter and icky. Another option for adding the oil is to vigorously whisk it into the remaining ingredients, either by hand or using a mixer.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary, then dip all your french fries in it because it’s so yum!
I really like the idea of adding chickpeas as a way to stabilize the emulsion and make it much thicker, however, I personally didn’t try it this time around. If you try it, please let me know! Serious Eats: Vegan Aquafaba Aioli