This easy stovetop side dish can be made in just a few minutes and pairs well with nearly any main dish!
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1-2 Tablespoons oil (avocado is best, coconut oil and ghee work too)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Additional salt or red pepper flakes to taste
- This is a pretty quick process once you start, so I recommend prepping your Brussels and your lemon before starting. You can also do this in batches - my pan only fits about 1/2 pound of sliced Brussels at a time so I usually do two batches. Be sure to save half your lemon juice/zest, and spices!
- Wash and prep sprouts. Remove ends (roots), and slice sprouts in half. You can cut really huge ones into quarters. Set aside.
- Zest and juice your lemon and set aside.
- Warm about half the oil in pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, place sprouts flat-side-down in the oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and optional red pepper flakes. Add 1/4 cup water to the pan and cover with a lid. Let steam about 2 minutes over medium heat. (Use a timer here - but you want the top of the sprouts to become a bright green.)
- Remove lid and add zest of 1 lemon, juice of 1 lemon. (Sprinkle and drizzle so it is distributed somewhat evenly.
- Let cook undisturbed about 1-3 minutes more, or until Brussels are slightly charred on bottom. (You can flip a few over to check.) You can add more oil here if you need to. Watch them closely so they don’t burn!
- Remove from skillet and sprinkle with more lemon zest, juice, or black pepper as desired and serve!
My cast iron has hot spots, so when I check my sprouts, I always check on in the hot spot (middle), and one in a colder spot (near the edge).
This is a pretty quick process once you start, so I recommend prepping your Brussels and your lemon before starting. You can also do this in batches - my pan only fits about 1/2 pound of sliced Brussels at a time so I usually do two batches. Be sure to save half your lemon juice/zest, oil, and spices!
- Prep Time: 6 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Vegetable Side