- 1 pound sweet potato (about 2 large) or 2.5 cups mashed (cooked) sweet potato, cooled
- 1/3 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1–2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tablespoons cold or frozen butter
- Mash the cooled sweet potato well and mix in the wet ingredients (yogurt and honey). Refrigerate.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter – I like to freeze the butter for this dish, and then grate or shave it into the dry ingredients. Using your hands, mash the butter into the flour mixture, so you have chunks of butter throughout. You want the chunks! Place in fridge or freezer to chill for about 10 minutes.
- Mix together the wet and dry ingredients. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle, about 1/3-inch thick, then fold in thirds. Dough should be about 1-inch thick. (I had to do this in 2 batches because my cutting board isn’t big enough.) Using a biscuit cutter or glass, cut out as many biscuits as you can! (Cut them very close together to minimize scraps.) Then mash the scraps together to form additional biscuits. I got about 14 biscuits, and some were a little wonky.
- Bake on 400ºF for 12-15 minutes or until brown on bottom and slightly brown on the top.
- Serve with butter!
- Category: Bread