Make this easy breakfast skillet while you're overflowing with zucchini! This homemade chorizo is the perfect flavor vehicle for black beans and zucchini.
- 8 ounces / 0.5 lb ground pork
- 2 Tablespoons chorizo seasoning
- 1 medium-large zucchini
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- oil/butter if needed to cook zucchini
- 1 can of black beans (about 1.5 cups cooked)
- 4 eggs (and butter/oil as needed to cook them) + salt/pepper to taste
- For serving: salsa, avocado, tortillas, cilantro, hot sauce, etc.
- Place the ground pork in a large bowl and add the chorizo seasoning. Mix with your hands until mostly uniform. Set aside.
- Alternatively, you can avoid touching the meat and just season the pork in the pan.
- Cut the zucchini into cube-like pieces, as pictured above. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. When a splash of water dances on the surface, add the chorizo. Cook chorizo until fully browned and cooked through, breaking it up into smaller pieces. Remove chorizo to a bowl.
- Keep about 1 Tablespoon of fat from thee pork in the skillet, or if it is lean pork, add some oil to the empty pan. Add the zucchini to the skillet with a pinch of salt. Sauté for about 5 minutes, until the zucchini turns a bright green, stirring well.
- Add the can of beans and return the chorizo to the pan. Reduce heat to low-medium and cook another 3-5 minutes until the zucchini is done to your preference and the flavors have had a chance to get to know each other.
- Meanwhile, in another skillet or pot, cook the 4 eggs to your desired preference. I like a sunny-side up egg or a poached egg best, but scrambled eggs work very well with this dish.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 12
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
Keywords: chorizo, chorizo breakfast skillet, zucchini, zucchini skillet